A long while ago, November 2009 actually, I posted about an Attachment Problem which was introduced in Lotus Notes 8.5.1. At the time, I pushed IBM for a solution and they eventually produced a half-solution (slightly better but no cigar).
Since then we've been living in pain.
Recently a commenter named "CIS" left a note on my original post to try putting AttachmentsUseCaption=0 in the notes.ini. It worked **THANKS** - you're my hero of the hour!
I decided to describe the problem and solution here in case others were in the same boat.
Here's how our attachments used to look prior to using the Lotus Notes 8.5.1 (and higher) clients.
At 8.5.1, the text under the attachments disappeared completely. This left me with a screen with two PDF files and no description. Not a good look for our extranet service.
We halted our Notes 8.5.1 rollout until IBM provided a fix but when they did, it wasn't a particularly elegant one.
Here's how it looked;
The attachment text (file names) stopped being under the icon and started being to the right of the icon. It might have been ok, if IBM didn't still keep invisible spacing under the icon.
It probably would have looked great if I could just left align the icons but it was not to be.
When the problem was still present in Lotus Notes 8.5.2, I decided to start upgrading our clients. I wasn't happy with the fix but at least we had descriptions for our attachments again.
A couple of days ago, following Cis' advice, I edited my NOTES.INI file;
The location may vary for you - especially if you're using the Multi-user install.
I opened the file in Notepad and added the line somewhere near the top.
Then I restarted the Notes client and detached and reattached a file.
The result looked like this. (File No 1.)
Yay!! We've since added the line to our policies, so all our clients will get it when they reboot.
Now all we have to do is detach and reattach everything we've done since November 2009 - Thanks IBM, at least now nobody can say they've got nothing to do.