Thursday, October 06, 2011

Notes and Domino 8.5.3 are out...

The Server
I've upgraded our test server from 8.5.2 to 8.5.3 and it took slightly under 5 minutes. Now that's what I call a good server upgrade (are you listening Microsoft???)

Anyway, so far, so good, everything seems to be working but then I haven't done a whole lot of testing yet.


The Client
My client took 21 minutes to upgrade from 8.5.2 to 8.5.3, which felt like a long time. It also came back a little weird and some views didn't populate immediately. Refreshing them made a big difference.

Again, so far, so good (mostly).

Unfortunately I lost the ability to click on a URL and have it launch my default browser (Chrome). Instead, it pops up Notepad (weird!!) and a bizarre little message.

The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I'm on a 64 bit Windows 7 Professional PC and Chrome is located in;

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

I've already checked my HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\http\shell\open\command key in the registry and it says;

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" "%1"

The related keys look fine too.

If I switch to the browser embedded in the Notes client, it works, but then when I switch back to my Operating System's default browser, it opens Notepad.

I decided to make Firefox, then Safari my default browsers and they worked properly, then when I made Chrome the default again, somehow the problem got fixed.

It's a trap to look out for.

1 comment:

Nitin Tandon said...

Hi There, Got the same error and found out that the file preferences of the notes client said use the browser that is default browser for the OS... while this particular instance did not have any browser specified as default browser. Once I setup one of the browser as the default for this OS the error disappeared..