Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Domain Controller Update

After obtaining some older hardware yesterday, we attempted to proceed with the Windows NT Domain Controller installation. Once again, our attempts ended in failure as we found the same problems as before (the network card needed service pack 3 or greater before it would install).

Eventually, we ended up installing Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 server but not as a domain controller. We then used a product that we found on the Internet called UPromote to convert the server to a Backup Domain Controller. It worked, and our domain infrastructure is now safe for the moment...

The one caveat with UPromote is that it prevents existing NT domains from being upgraded to active directories. I am not concerned with this limitation however as active directory should be designed and implemented from the ground up, not migrated from an existing NT domain.

No comments: