Skip to main content

How to Create a Bootable DVD Using Nero Burning ROM 9

I often need to create bootable CDs and DVDs but it's weird because I frequently end up buring myself a new coaster instead. It's not that the process is difficult, just that nero has a few too many options and I forget which ones to choose and end up picking the wrong one. I figured that the best way to avoid this mistake in future would be to write the steps down.

Procedure
  1. Insert CD or DVD into your DVD Burner.

  2. Start Nero Burning ROM 9

  3. Choose DVD-ROM (Boot) or CD-ROM (Boot) depending on what you're creating

  4. You'll be prompted for a disk image source. Choose a Nero Source - you'll usually find them somewhere like this...
    C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero9\Nero Burning Rom\DOSBootImage.ima

  5. Leave the Boot Locale as English - unless you really need a different keyboard layout


  6. Tick the box marked [X] Enable Expert Settings

  7. Choose Hard Drive Emulation and leave any other settings as they are.

  8. Click the button marked New

  9. Add any files you want but don't try to add operating system files. You don't need to add Command.com because it's already on the Boot disk.

  10. When you've finished, choose Burn.

That's it.

When you boot from the CD/DVD, you'll find that it starts as Drive A: and only contains a bunch of DOS Files.

Drive C: will probably be your hard drive - which may or may not be readable/writable (depending on whether it's formatted as Fat32 or NTFS).

Drive D: should be the other part of your new disc - all of the files you added.


Good Ideas for Boot Disks

Ghost Images
If you find yourself creating lots of Ghost images to reload PCs you might want to consider using the -SPLIT=650 or -SPLIT=4096 parameters to get the Ghost Images to create files which are the sizes of CDs or DVDs respectively. If you copy the Ghost image and Ghost.exe onto the CD/DVD, you can simply boot the PC off the CD/DVD and start installing without delay. Because I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I'll usually also include an autorun.inf file which launches notepad or a html file when the CD/DVD is inserted in a Windows environment.

Game Boot Disks
Want to play those old DOS Classics without the drag of Windows? Consider creating a boot disk which also contains the install files for some of the best. If you've got a good boot image and a lot of spare RAM, you might want to make a bootdisk that sets up a RAM Drive (you can make your own IMA files using WinImage). Playing a game from a RAM Drive will make it much faster but remember to copy your save game data somewhere or you'll lose it.

Comments

Unknown said…
g'day! When booting from the CD and it starts as drive A: in a DOS environment, how do I proceed to start the setup to install windows? I would very much appreciate any help I could get with this :)
Gavin Bollard said…
Windows CDs from about version 98 onwards (and some earlier versions too) are all bootable.

If you boot from one of them, the computer should go into setup mode automatically.

If you can't boot and your C: drive is unreadable (ie: not something you want to preserve), the use FDISK to delete and recreate the partition. See Microsoft Notes on how to do this.

There's also a freeware home partition manager boot disk that you can download from MiniTool.
Unknown said…
No, I mean the bootable CD I made with Nero! It goes to a DOS environment and the setup doesnt start automatically :S by the way, ive made several attempts to make a bootable windows cd with different burning programs but havent had 100% success yet. One time, while booting it showed error message: "Couldn't find NTLDR" and of course didnt work, some other time during booting it just stoped, no DOS environment or anything, I had to restart, however this CD worked in a windows environment, I chose to install windows in the startup window and then it worked ok.. Im kinda frustrated :s
Unknown said…
Um, I'm in a huge distress out here with my . When I want to burn an Audio CD, the only write-speed avabalile is 48x. ?????? WTF? I don't need that speed. I want 4x or even 2x. Some months ago I have had the same problem. I reinstalled . No change. I reformatted the whole Windows, also the additional drive (DATA). So all my info was gone. After that, I installed again . Then I could have burn the CD at the speed I wanted. Now, the problem has come again. My only speed: 48x. What could I do?
Unknown said…
Um, I'm in a huge distress out here with my . When I want to burn an Audio CD, the only write-speed avabalile is 48x. ?????? WTF? I don't need that speed. I want 4x or even 2x. Some months ago I have had the same problem. I reinstalled . No change. I reformatted the whole Windows, also the additional drive (DATA). So all my info was gone. After that, I installed again . Then I could have burn the CD at the speed I wanted. Now, the problem has come again. My only speed: 48x. What could I do?
Gavin Bollard said…
Muhammad,

Try using different Media as often settings are determined by the media itself.

If you're using Nero 10,. you'll see a down arrow in the Quick Lists part of SmartStart. If you click on that, you can select Options and change the burning speed from automatic to minimal. That might help.
Unknown said…
I have created a cd as you told.....but im not getting a 'press any key to boot from cd...' i have selected the cd from the boot menu....but the cursor just keeps on blinking and my normal os boots up....can you please help me? I an creating a windows 8.1 cd and my present os is 8
Gavin Bollard said…
Microsoft "Fixed" CD Booting in Windows 8, so there's a few more things you need to do;

How to boot from CD or USB in Windows 8
Unknown said…
i want to make a bootable dvd how i make bootable dvd using nero 6.6
Gavin Bollard said…
Nero 6 is a bit old to make bootable DVDs with. You should probably upgrade.
If the problem is cost, then you might want to download CDBurnerXP which is free.

Here's how to make a bootable DVD with CDBurnerXP
https://cdburnerxp.se/help/Data/bootdisc
computergk.com said…
How to burn DVD using DVD burner on Computer-The external storage such as CD or DVD are used to store data upto disk capacity for future reference. Often companies use these CDs, & DVDs to store or make a copy of driver software or other data which can be used in future. In order to make a copy the disc is burned with the help of DVD burner. DVD burner is a software program used to copy or burn contents available on computer memory.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Change Your Notification Options for New Lotus Notes Mail in version 8.x

Don't worry, I'm not patronizing you (my readers), I just decided to re-document this for one of our internal users and thought you might want to be able to use it in your own user documentation. WHAT IS THIS DOCUMENT ABOUT? Some people who don't get a lot of mail, like to be notified when such an event occurs. Notification can be; via a sound via a pop-up box via the system tray (where the computer clock is) The pop up box looks like this; Other people, who like myself, get too much mail would rather not be notified. The aim of this document is to tell you how (and where) to turn these options on and off. CHANGING YOUR SETTINGS To change your settings from the Notes 8.x client; On the Menu, click File , then Preferences... On the left hand side , click on the little plus sign to the left of Mail to expand the options. Click on the option marked Sending and Receiving . In the middle section, under receiving, you can control your notifications. If you untick the box mark

How to Create an Auto-Response Mail Message in Lotus Notes 8.5.3+

Why would you do this? Suppose that you have an externally accessible generic email address for your company; support@mycompany.com or info@mycompany.com. You might expose this to the web and allow people to send messages to you. Setting up an auto-response email will tell the senders that their message reached its destination and that it will be dealt with accordingly.  It's also good practice to include links to FAQs or other useful information. Why 8.5.3 The techniques we'll be using here work in older versions of Notes but some of the options seem to have moved around in 8.5.3.  I figured it was a good time to show you where they've moved to. The Procedure Start Domino Designer and open the Mail file to be modified.  A really quick way to do this is to right-click on the application tab and choose "Open in Designer". In the Left hand panel of designer, expand Code and then double-click Agents.  A new window should appear. Click the action

How to Do a Mail Merge to Email using Lotus Notes

Why do one? In today's "green" world, it makes much better sense to send out emails than letters but you still want to personalize them. Sadly, by itself Lotus Notes doesn't support mail merge to email. Of course, we know that outlook does (but then it lets anyone and anything send emails for you - even when you don't want them to). So, how to do it in Notes? OpenNTF The first port of call is OpenNTF ( http://www.openntf.org/ ). This place is full of great things but most of them are really badly documented. Still, these guys give things away for free and they develop in their spare time, so we should be grateful for what we get. There's a great little project there called MailMerge Excel to Notes . Go there, click on releases and download the ZIP file. Getting to the Code The installation is tricky though I've noted that since I asked the author about the install, it's been updated (so maybe these steps are less necessary). Unzip the files to somewher