Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Remote Desktop via Blackberry

I am a big fan of remote desktop and use it for all sorts of things with notable examples being;
  • Starting large downloads (eg: Domino 8) from Home to my work PC
  • Running MS Project on our Presentations Equipment even though it isn't loaded there.
  • Getting better speed in Lotus Notes when I'm using the system remotely.
It was only a matter of time before I tried to get it working on the BlackBerry.

I investigated a couple of companies but they weren't very helpful and I had problems getting their software to work. I specifically wanted Remote Desktop, not VNC - as remote desktop is built-in to Windows.

Eventually I found a company called Idokorro and their software worked first time.

What's great about this software is that given that our Blackberry Enterprise Server is inside our Corporate Firewall I can access my desktop PC without having to use VPN and without weakening our firewall.

One note: On the standard BlackBerry Enterprise Server settings I got the following message;

Error message: "You have reached the maximum amount of data which can be transferred by this BlackBerry device over a single connection. If you are using a BES please contact your BES administrator to increase this limit."

The way around this message (as I discovered from the BlackBerry Forums, was to;
  1. Go the Blackberry Enterprise Server
  2. Select the MDS Connection Service (in Explorer View)
  3. Click Edit Properties (top right hand corner)
  4. Look for a setting marked "Maximum KB/Connection" in the General section
  5. Change this to 1024.

2 comments:

MatthewJohnson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cannerald said...

You could also try RHUB http://www.rhubcom.com, Remote Desktop as an alternative. It is a completely non-download system and doesn’t require a VPN. In addition to firewall protection, it has got a unique security feature that blocks access by IP address, which provides extra protection.