So... here's the procedure.
- Open Your Lotus Notes Mail to the Inbox.
- From the Menu, select Folder then Create Folder...
- When the Dialog box appears, type a name for your folder like "Old Inbox" or if you're really obsessive compulsive like me, 2008 Inbox. Then click Ok.
- Next, tag all of your old mail in Notes by dragging the mouse down the left hand side. If you've got a lot of mail, you can do this step in chunks or you can choose Select all (Ctrl+A) and simply deselect the new stuff (the 2009 mails).
- Finally, click on the action bar menu and choose the new folder you created and click Move.
- Your old mail will move to the new location (where you can easily access it - it's only one click away) and you'll be left with a nice clean inbox ready for the year ahead.