The Hard Way
At work, after five unsuccessful uninstalls and reinstalls of Notes 8.5.1 (with some - always successful - reinstalls of 8.5 in between), I finally did two things.
- Switched my primary web browser back to Internet Explorer (don't worry, I didn't actually use it for the duration).
- Decided not to reinstall the single-signon service.
It worked!! I later switched back to Chrome and then reinstalled (did a repair) to add Single Signon. It still worked. I was in business.
The Easy Way
Once I was on 8.5.1 at work, I decided it was time to update my home computer. I don't have single signon there, but I do have Chrome as my default browser. I wasn't expecting the same installation issues to occur but they did. It's obviously Chrome.
This time, I decided to try a different approach.
Following an anonymous tip in the comments of my last post - (Whoever you are - thanks!!!), I decided to make it difficult for Notes to find the C:\Lotus\Notes\Framework folder.
I closed Notes, and renamed the folder from Framework to xFramework.
Then started designer.
I was expecting it to fall in a heap, but it worked, albeit not particularly well. Still, this was the first time that designer had actually started.
I closed it down again and renamed the folder back.
The next time I started designer, it worked perfectly. Problem solved.